Did you know:
- 5 BILLION minutes are spent (or wasted) on Facebook EVERY DAY.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the 8th largest in the world.
- 5 percent of Twitter users account for 75 percent of all Twitter activity.
- More than half of Twitter users use something other than Twitter.com to tweet, monitor and manage their tweeting (#1 Tool: TweetDeck)
As a Geek I sometimes feel that this social networking thing has been overdone, however I’m surprised to find that MANY people are still on the sidelines! My wife being one of them! I tell her that she’s going to ruin my reputation but she’s not hearing it! My Mom however has taken to Facebook like a fish in water. Well she tries her best anyway, I have to give her credit!
The point is social media attracts and detracts all types of people, AND THAT’S OK! My philosophy is that if you’re going to use it, use it with all your might! If you’re not going to use it, don’t hijack your husband’s Facebook profile to talk to your friends.
So is this social networking thing catching on? It’s here to stay, my friends! People crave interaction! We go crazy without it! If I didn’t have “face-to-face” friends or “e-friends” I would probably talk to a red-faced volleyball named Wilson!
Businesses and associations have found creative uses for social networking!
A recent promotion from Papa John’s Facebook page wielded massive pizza giveaways! “Bring your Camaro to a Papa John’s and get a free pizza!” Their Facebook page featured picture after picture of people in front of “very sweet” cars holding a free pizza! How great is that?!
IAR’s Use of the Social Tools Has Been a Success so Far!
- We’ve had a Facebook page for over a year now and great conversations are taking place there!
- Our Twitter account, ILREALTOR is sharing useful information on a daily basis!
- Our Members have connected with us on LinkedIn
- Our most recent addition to the IAR social family is this blog!
Whether you’re just starting out or have been surfing the social waves for a while, you’re in good company! Just don’t confine yourself, don’t be afraid to try new social sites, there are hundreds out there and any one of them could take center stage!