A special primary election to fill the remaining term of Rep. Aaron Schock (R-18 District) who resigned at the end of March, has been slated for July 7.
Monday was the filing deadline for candidates seeking the Republican and Democratic nomination in the special primary. Three Republicans and two Democratic candidates filed their petitions for the ballot.
- Sen. Darin LaHood (Peoria) – currently a state senator and son of former Rep. Ray LaHood;
- Michael Flynn (Quincy) – political stategist; and
- Donald Ray Rients (Benson) – resident from Woodford County.
- Adam Lopez (Springfield) – member of the Springfield School Board; and
- Robert Mellon (Quincy) – ran in 2014, high school teacher in Quincy.
The general election for the candidates victorious in the July primary will be held on Sept. 10.
The 18th Congressional District is in central and western Illinois and includes Hancock, McDonough, Adams, Pike, Brown, Schuyler, Scott, Cass, Mason, Menard, Sangamon, Logan, Tazewell, McLean, Woodford, Marshall, Stark and Peoria counties.