The Legal Affairs Department for the National Association of REALTORS® offers numerous best practices for preventing scams, hacks and loss of data as well as recovery if members and their clients fall victim to one of these situations.
REALTORS® can login and get the NAR Data Security and Privacy Toolkit for best practices regarding emails, transactions, business procedures and damage control. Some suggestions from the toolkit include:
- Use encrypted email;
- Never trust contact information from unverified emails;
- Use strong passwords and change them frequently;
- Make sure all parties use secure email procedures for transactions;
- If wiring money, call intended recipients immediately prior to verify wiring instructions;
- Develop and enforce policies for ensuring data security; and
- Avoid storing clients’ personally identifiable information any longer than necessary.
The toolkit also provides a link to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Internet Crime Complaint Center.