The essay contest, which began Nov. 15, is open to Illinois high school students in grades nine through twelve attending public, private or home schools. A total of 23 students across the state will be awarded a scholarship to help with school-related expenses. Scholarship winners will be selected by adherence to the theme of “Home Is Where the Heart Is”. In addition, judges will also be looking at creativity, originality, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- The contest submission deadline is Feb. 15, 2018.
- The contest opened for submissions on Nov. 15, 2017.
- Essays can be no more than 700 words but must be a minimum of 500 words.
- Essays must be the original work of the student.
- Essays reflect the theme “Home Is Where the Heart Is”
- $1,000 – 1 top scholarship award recipient
- $750 – 11 scholarship award recipients
- $250 – 11 scholarship award recipients
The intent of the monetary award is for the student’s school-related expenses.
Winners will be announced on April 1, 2018. Scholarship winners will also receive statewide recognition from Illinois REALTORS® and the State of Illinois Bicentennial Commission.
The association is an official endorsed partner with the Illinois Bicentennial Commission, which oversees the state’s plans for the milestone birthday. Bicentennial Plaza – a REALTOR® Community Partnership is a signature project of the state bicentennial celebrations.
Visit the Illinois REALTORS® Bicentennial webpage for the official rules and contest entry form, available both in print and online, and share with a high schooler you may know – they could be a part of the historic 200th birthday of Illinois.