Illinois REALTORS® can support needed updates to the state communications law by sending an email to their state legislators and sharing information with friends through Facebook.
As mentioned in this blog last week, IAR has joined a coalition named the Illinois Partnership for the New Economy and Jobs that seeks changes to Illinois’ communication law that would help make the state more competitive, better meet consumer demand and create jobs. More than 240 organizations have joined the coalition that wants to bring laws into the 21st century.
“Our organization is supporting an update to the state’s expiring communications law in 2015,” says a representative of the Illinois Partnership. “Please help us update the law by sending a quick message today. Visit www.UpdateTheIllinoisLaw.com. These steps will make a big difference to update the Illinois communications law.”
The coalition lists five reasons Illinois needs to update the communication law now:
- Modern communications networks help schools, families, businesses, individuals and public safety responders.
- Surrounding states have already updated laws to promote investment in modern networks.
- Investment in modern communications networks creates jobs.
- Create Illinois jobs without taxpayer money.
- Delay puts Illinois further behind.
Take steps to prevent someone from obtaining your personal data and that of your clients. Tune into a free webinar tomorrow with Kristina V. Dorville, Department of Homeland Security National Cyber Security Division.
IAR is providing the webinar from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as part of Cyber Security Awareness Month. Plan to register a few minutes before the webinar begins.
Here’s a look at what REALTORS® came to learn about at this year’s Real Estate Barcamp powered by the Illinois Young Professionals Network, held earlier this week in St. Charles, Ill. These topics determined the final REbarcamp sessions: Social Media, Referrals & Lead Generation, Paperless & Productivity, Technology Management, Negotiation People Skills & Tactics, Marketing to the Media, Mobile Apps, The Future of the Industry, The Art of Your Brand, YouTube, Video with Animoto,iPad, Android or Windows?
Typical with barcamps, the topics focused largely on technology and social media. Here’s a quick list of apps shared among barcamp attendees:
- PDF Expert
- QR Reader
- Turbo Scan
- Any List
- Cam Scanner
- Scanner Pro
- Close the Sale
- Go To Meeting
- Card to Contact
- Scan Bix Cards
- Dot Loop
- HP12C Financial Calculater
- Zillow Mortgages
- Walk Score
- GAS Buddy
- Open House Home Pro
- Pic Stitch
- Snap Seed
- Google+ and Google Hangout
- Zipit Radon
Mobile technology has become a must-have business tool for today’s real estate agent and there are a number of apps that make it easier than ever to connect with clients, get organized and get work done when you are away from the office.
Steve Volkodav, CEO of the North Shore-Barrington Association of REALTORS®, highlighted some popular apps in the Oct. 3 session, “App Swap,” at the Illinois Association of REALTORS® Fall Conference & Expo in St. Charles, Ill.
There was also an overview of REPurposed Apps, a website for National Association of REALTORS® members to share, recommend and review mobile apps.
Some of apps to check out included:
1. Cloud storage options: Google Drive, Dropbox, SkyDrive
2. Password managers: Last Pass, Dashlane, 1Password
3. Draw and measure floor plans: MagicPlan, Floor Plan Creator
4. Remote access to your desktop: TeamViewer, LogMeIn, 2X
5. Note taking and organization: Evernote, PDF Expert
Mobile technology is changing the game for real estate agents and becoming even more important in the daily real estate activities of REALTORS®. In today’s opening session “Mobile Technology and All That You Can Do,” John D. Reyes, CEO and President of Social NetworX provided an overview and live demonstration of the various technologies including social networking, online video, iPad and mobile applications.
John D. Reyes, CEO/President of Social NetworX
Some of the “must have apps” Reyes shared include:
- Social Networking: Facebook, Instagram, Yelp
- Photo Enhancements: Title FX, Pic Play Post, Instagram, Pic Stich
- Listing Presentations: Slide Shark
- News Source: Zite, Flipboard
- Note Taking Applications: AudioNote, Evernote
- Cloud Storage: Dropbox, Google Drive
Reyes’ session sponsored by Fifth Third Mortgage kicks off day one of the Illinois Association of REALTORS® Fall Conference & Expo in St. Charles, Ill. where hundreds of real estate professionals across the state will spend the next two days for professional development and networking.